GHS WHOLE SCHOOL BEHAVIOUR EXPECTATIONS
The expectations are linked to our school mission statement ‘Be the Difference to Ourselves, Others and the World’ and are guided by the school values of Respect, Responsibility, Kindness and Resilience.
At Gulf Harbour School our values guide us in everything we do and were decided on through consultation with our community including, local iwi, parents, school staff, teachers and students.
The New Zealand Curriculum key competencies (participating and contributing, thinking, using language, symbols and text, relating to others, and managing self) are woven into our school values.
Our school wide positive behaviour plan is based on the following principles:
That building positive relationships with children, parents and whanau creates a school culture where every child can achieve success.
That the opportunities to be successful increase when:
• the school environment is positive and supportive
• expectations are consistent and clear
• students are taught expected behaviour
• students are consistently acknowledged for the expected behaviour
• students are responded to equitably and fairly
2. That by developing systems for responding to behaviour in accordance with evidence based best practice we can promote effective teaching and learning (AKO), develop a deeper understanding of our school values and what they look like, sound like and feel like at our school and encourage everyone to 'Be the Difference' to ourselves, others and in the world.
The following strategies are used within the school to sustain a positive learning environment
Proactively preventing behaviour problems
Using attention, encouragement and praise to turn undesired behaviours around
Helping children learn social skills, empathy, and problem-solving skills
To nurture students early and build a secure learning foundation where everyone is clear of the expectations
Using appropriate consequences to address undesirable behaviours
Using behaviour data to inform school decision making and to regularly evaluate progress in order to maintain momentum and inform next steps